Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Moving On..........!

As you may have guessed, we have moved on (to retirement) and no longer visit Hanlon Creek often. We're now located in the Beaver Valley, and my new blog is 'seasonsinthevalley.blogspot.com'. I invite you to take a look if you're interested.

So these will be my last few posts to the Hanlon Creek Journal, highlighting a few things I remember - like the mushroom trees.

A little earlier in the fall, a year ago, I came across several pine and cedar trees along the trail decorated with small mushrooms, tucked in the crotches of branches. It was certainly one of the more surprising things I'd seen while walking the trails. Presumably squirrels were picking the mushrooms, growing nearby, and putting them there to dry, or as a food stash.

I was reminded of this recently when I found apples stashed in the very same way in our own old apple trees in the fencerow. The squirrels have been busy here too. Now that winter's here I wonder how often the squirrels actually go back and retrieve their stash for lunch?

No comments:

Post a Comment